Image Map

Monday, July 14, 2014

My time in Washington has come to a close

4th of July fun!!




Mail Time!!
Talking on my Banana cell phone


Daniel Boone Memorial with Sis. Errington (he's really big here


Malo Lelei family and friends!
Transfer calls were Saturday night, and I found out that I am leaving my baby area here in Washington, MO. I wasn't to shocked because I felt that change was coming, I have been here for 5 whole months. Can you believe that. I cannot believe I have been out that long already. Sister Errington will be staying here in this wonderful area. She is going to tear this place up. She is such a hard worker and a great missionary. I have been so blessed to be her companion. She is so quick to compliment me on anything! She really has made this transfer a good one. I am very grateful to her for all she has taught me about mission life. I will leave Washington, MO and head to Shiloh, Illinois on Wednesday!
Well this past week we had some crazy experiences that taught me that....yes this is going to sound really strange.... that Satan is very real. He is as real as Heavenly Father. He is as present in our lives as Heavenly Father. At first it kind of scared me to think about, but then it became comforting as I remembered whose side I am on. He will not fail me, nor will he forsake me. As long as I am doing all I can, and being as obedient as possible he will always guide me. And although I may have encounters with the adversary I will be protected from him. He is as present as ever, especially in these last days. I have learned that it is important to realize that, so that we can know him, and counter his attacks not only for ourselves but for all of mankind. We are in this together! Elder Holland said in his talk "safety for the soul"

 "The Savior warned that in the last days even those of the covenant, the very elect, could be deceived by the enemy of truth. If we think of this as a form of spiritual destruction, it may cast light on another latter-day prophecy. Think of the heart as the figurative center of our faith, the poetic location of our loyalties and our values; then consider Jesus’s declaration that in the last days “men’s hearts [shall fail] them.”

The encouraging thing, of course, is that our Father in Heaven knows all of these latter-day dangers, these troubles of the heart and soul, and has given counsel and protections regarding them.

In light of that, it has always been significant to me that the Book of Mormon, one of the Lord’s powerful keystones in this counteroffensive against latter-day ills, begins with a great parable of life, an extended allegory of hope versus fear, of light versus darkness, of salvation versus destruction"
He then goes on to speak of Lehi's dream. And how the "mist of darkness descends on all the travelers—the faithful and the determined ones (the elect, we might even say) as well as the weaker and ungrounded ones." Satan is real and he will enter into this world and try to deceive us. His mist of darkness will descend upon us. But that does not mean we are lost. It means we are human, and we are participating in the "human experience" we came down here to have. The important point that Elder Holland makes is that "the successful travelers resist all distractions, including the lure of forbidden paths and jeering taunts from the vain and proud who have taken those paths." That is my favorite part of this story, because that is exactly what we are doing right now. We are treading through the mist of Darkness not necessarily seeing the end, but having the faith that it is there. And that we can and will make it. That is me and you right now.

"Love. Healing. Help. Hope. The power of Christ to counter all troubles in all times—including the end of times. That is the safe harbor God wants for us in personal or public days of despair. That is the message with which the Book of Mormon begins, and that is the message with which it ends, calling all to “come unto Christ, and be perfected in him.”
As we "come unto Christ", find faith in him, humble ourselves to call on his name for repentance. As we remember our baptismal covenants, and all things we have covenanted to do by and through his name. Read daily for the Book of Mormon, and call upon our Heavenly Father each morning to guide you throughout the day, and each evening to give thanks. We can find that eternal peace and we can find a "safety for our souls". Even when Satan is all around us. I know this to be more true than anything. I know that our Savior can heal us, and protect us. I have seen it in my own life. He is waiting for us to come unto him. Remember his promise in the fourteenth chapter of John:

 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
The condition of this promise are that you seek him first. It rests on your shoulders. He will never not be there for you, he is waiting. It is your choice, you must use your agency to use his atonement, and feel his comforting hand in your life. I want to invite you all to look for times this week when you can apply the atonement in your life more fully. Not just the power of repentance, but also the enabling power that comes from His atonement as well. He knows what you are going through, He knows you better than anyone. I testify of that in the name of Him who saves.
I love you all so much. I am grateful for all of the love and support I receive out here in the field. I couldn't do it without you! Next time we speak I will be in a different state. Love you.

Malo.
Love,
Sister Haderlie

No comments:

Post a Comment